Friday, September 30, 2016

Two Roads To Spearfishing

Picking up from where I left off -- when returning from my first scooter ride along the eastern coast and over a mountain -- I felt myself looking for a place to stop just to hydrate and rest.  I had already had my first ever experience getting petrol for the scooter (I offered a 3,000 Rupiah note thinking that's what was said -- and the woman laughed at me with a loud "No" and repeated what sounded like 3,000 -- of course I was forgetting that 3,000 Rupiah is about 23 cents USD: only those who have never traveled will laugh at this mistake, I'm fairly certain every international traveler has made a similar mistake.  Turned out, of course, that she wanted 30,000 Rupiah (about $2.29 USD).

Anyway, back to my story -- I happened upon a road off the main one that looked like it might lead down to a small, beautiful ocean-side village

 -- and I took it.  I've recreated and narrated the experience with this short YouTube video.  After hitting a terrible, rocky road -- but continuing on -- I arrived at a Warung -- and after greetings requested a coke (which I've learned you must ask for as coca-cola to be understood). No English was understood but soon I had a gathering of children around me. As I have frequently done - and blogged about - the easiest way to begin a conversation with non-English speakers is to inquire about age -- and that I did as the kids all showed interest in this white American at their store.  Shortly a young man appeared to see the commotion, and I introduced myself and with eye and hand motions, he did the same: "Ningah."  So, although their are many Ningah's in the Bali world (also a common name of second born), I took a chance a showed him a photo of the "Ningah" I had gone fishing with -- and to my surprise, he let me know he knew him.  Of course I doubted he did -- but I went with it because he was soon motioning for me to sit in a shaded open-air hut that is common here -- where I continued my interaction with the children and showed photos of my kids and grandkids that garnered me great attention and interest.


It was a fun interaction -- and when I ran out of ideas for conversation and my coca-cola was finished, I departed with much commotion and interest and hand shaking with everyone.

Well, when I asked my fisherman friend of this Ningah (who I now also a photo of)



-- not only did he know him -- but I learned that my friend Ningah's wife's co-worker is from that village and the co-worker ("Komang" - common third born name) and her husband (Made - also common second born name) were going to be at another dinner he invited me to at his house.


Another scrumptious meal and an opportunity to add two more friends to my life
 -- and I learned that Made is also a morning fisherman but his hobby is spearfishing in the afternoons.  Of course I expressed interest, and a plan was set in motion for me to go spearfishing with him should I return to Amed after my planned visit to a tourist hot-spot Gili Air.  Before I left for Gili Air, I had decided to change my plan and return for this unique opportunity. More on that in a future posting.


No comments:

Post a Comment